The Software Engineer role will be a key one for the SG Digital New Product Development (NPD) team. Reporting to a Development Manager, the Software Engineer will be working alongside other Software Engineers, Project Managers, QA, Software Architects and Operational Excellence in order to shape and implement the technology and people vision of the team that will drive forward this strategic initiative.
The NPD team will be more aggressively adopting newer technologies, architectural principles and approaches to development, deployment and monitoring. The Software Engineer will be critical to ensure to ensure the highest coding standards and quality of deliverables to the QA and Operational Excellence teams and for adoption by operators.
- Development of new features and functionality for NPD products and services, including the production of unit tests as and where required
- Code reviews for products and services delivered across the wider NPD team
- Code quality for products and services delivered by the team for whom the Senior Software Engineer is responsible
- Ensuring that products and services adhere to agreed performance KPIs and are delivered in line with NPD pipeline requirements
- Ensuring that all products and services have agreed levels of test coverage, in line with NPD requirements, and adhere to agreed architectural and technology (including security) standards
- Provision of detailed release documentation for handover to “BAU” team
- Active participation in solutions architecture and design, including KPI definition
- Proactively identify and address areas of material improvement, notably around performance, security and scalability
- Experience of Agile development processes and scrum roles and responsibilities
- As required, technically lead an Agile workstream
Knowledge & Experience
- A minimum of 2 years’ hands-on experience in designing and developing applications using Java Enterprise platforms, using UNIX / Linux
- A minimum of 2 years’ hands-on experience in designing distributed systems, for example using (preferably) DDD or SOA and potentially also a central ‘broker’ (such as Kafka or potentially an ESB)
- A minimum of 2 years’ hands-on experience in designing applications using the actor model
- Excellent knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate etc.)
- Experience in developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Drupal, GWT, Spring MVC etc.)
- Demonstrable experience with TDD and / or BDD
- Some experience in use of Akka, Kafka, Scala and Cassandra
- Experience is the use of Docker, Ansible, Maven, Jenkins, Sonar and Git (BitBucket)
- Experience in developing large distributed systems and concepts such as caching, sharding, consistent hashing, interprocess communications and brokering
- Hands-on experience in developing microservices using at least one popular framework (Netflix OSS, Spring Cloud, Play etc.)
- Some experience in Domain Driven Design, the actor model, event-sourcing and CQRS
- Secondary expertise in Python (maybe PHP) and PostgreSQL or MySQL would be beneficial
Domain knowledge is not required, but having worked on major eCommerce or any significant widely distributed system is.
Why would you enjoy working with us at SG Digital?
- Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace
- The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow
- Tangible and genuine development – at OpenBet, you can take your career where you want it to go!
- Exposure to real work, business-critical projects and the chance to develop some of the world’s leading e-commerce sportsbooks whilst working on exciting client projects and interact with lots of code!
And if that’s not enough; you will get to enjoy a stunning work location and flexible working whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.