What Do I Need To Do To Employ An Apprentice?

Shape Image One
What Do I Need To Do To Employ An Apprentice?

If you are an employer and you want to hire an apprentice, you are on the right page. In this article, we are going to talk about what you need to do or consider employing an apprentice. Read on to know more.


If you are yearly payable is over £3 million, the apprenticeship levy will be on you. The government will contribute 10% to the funds deposited in your account. But if you have insufficient funds to meet apprenticeship training expenses, you have to pay at least 5% of the outstanding balance. The rest of 95% will be paid by the government.

For small companies that don’t have the apprenticeship levy, they need to have reserve funds in the finance part of the apprenticeship service account. You will cover 5% of the training cost and the rest will be covered by the government.

Additional funding and support 

You may qualify for extra funds and support based on the circumstances of your apprentice. Similarly, you may get additional support if you have fewer than 50 employees. Given below are the things you need to check:

1. Eligibility of apprentice 

  • An apprentice is eligible if they meet the following criteria: 
  • Are rightful to work in England 
  • Don’t spend more than half of their working hours outside England 
  • Are working in your company or a company connected to your company.

2. Agreements to sign 

As the employer, you must sign an employment agreement with your hire, which should have the following details:

  • Wage 
  • Working conditions 
  • Working hours

Besides, the agreement should state other details, such as the skills, the name of apprenticeship, the date of apprenticeship, the amount of training off-the-job, just to name a few. Besides, you also need to sign a commitment statement with the training provider and the apprentice.

3. Choosing a training provider 

During the apprenticeship, you must have a great relationship with your training provider. Make sure you decide on the price to cover the cost of apprenticeships, which should include the endpoint assessment cost as well.

4. Types of apprenticeships 

Generally, a group of employees works with the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education for designing apprenticeships. For more information, you can check out the website of the institute. 

The website offers information regarding the occupational maps and assessment plan. The apprenticeship is related to a certain occupation and office details about the job of the printers and the required skills.

5. End-point assessments 

This involves the assessment of the behavior, skills, and knowledge gained by the apprentice. The idea is to find out if the apprentice is competent for the occupation. Employers design the assessments, while independent assessment organizations conduct the assessment.

6. Certification 

After the successful completion of the apprenticeship, you will award a certificate to each apprentice. The request is sent by the EPAO. If you want to employ an apprentice, make sure the apprentice:

  • Is 6 years old or over 
  • Is not in full-time education
  • Performs their role related to their apprenticeship 
  • Can work the required number of hours per week to achieve their apprenticeship certificate

You have to pay the National Minimum Wage, assign a role to the apprentice, allow them to learn on the job, play for the off-the-job training, and give them a contract of employment. 

Apprenticeships outside England

As said above, apprentices have to spend a minimum of half of their working hours in England to qualify for Apprenticeships. If you are in Northern Ireland, Wales, or Scotland, you should get in touch with your local apprenticeship authorities for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *